On May 2, 2017 the library will be asking for a new operating millage to continue operation. The proposed replacement Library Operating millage in the amount of 0.89 is to operate the Lyon Township Public Library (LTPL) in the current facility at 27005 S. Milford Road. 0.89 is an increase of .3695 mills over the 2017 tax collection rate of .5205. The original millage was 0.53 (which has been subjected to Headlee rollback) and is set to expire in 2017.
Ballot language was approved by LTPL Board of Trustees on December 14, 2016 and by the Lyon Township Board on January 3, 2017 for the May 2 election.
With the millage increase, LTPL proposes to:
- Increase evening and weekend hours
- Provide professional staffing on weekends and every weekday
- Purchase annual subscriptions to databases for adults, teens and children. These will include databases specifically for consumer research, foreign languages, genealogy, and for students doing homework.
- Increase our digital content collections to provide more downloadable e-books and audiobooks including Lyon Township specific copies available only to our patrons to cut down on wait list time.
- Provide downloadable music and magazines
- Increase programming for all ages
- Increase community outreach and engagement
- Provide stronger Wi-Fi in the library
- Provide children’s accessible technology in the library
- Provide mobile Hot Spot lending
On August 2, 2016, a proposal to build, staff and operate a new library was defeated in the Michigan primary election. The election results by initiative can be seen below. Details of the failed proposals can be found at the link to the right.
|Library Bond to build new facility||Votes||Split|
|Library Millage to staff & operate new facility||Votes||Split|