On May 2, 2017 the library will be asking for a new operating millage to continue operation. The proposed millage is a replacement Library Operating millage in the amount of 0.89 to operate the Lyon Township Public Library (LTPL) in the current facility at 27005 S. Milford Road. 0.89 is an increase of .3695 mills over the 2017 tax collection rate of .5205. The current millage of 0.53 (which has been subjected to Headlee rollback) was approved in 2007 and is set to expire in 2017. A new millage must be approved by voters by the end of 2017 for the library to continue operation.
Ballot language was approved by LTPL Board of Trustees on December 14, 2016 and by the Lyon Township Board on January 3, 2017 for the May 2 election.
With the millage increase, LTPL will be able to continue providing all of the current services (which can be seen by clicking here), and to improve our services by:
- Increasing evening and weekend hours
- Providing professional staffing on weekends and every weekday
- Purchasing annual subscriptions to databases for adults, teens and children. These will include databases specifically for consumer research, foreign languages, genealogy, and for students doing homework.
- Increasing our digital content collections to provide more downloadable e-books and audiobooks including Lyon Township specific copies available only to our patrons to cut down on wait list time.
- Providing downloadable music and magazines
- Increasing programming for all ages
- Increasing community outreach and engagement
- Providing stronger Wi-Fi in the library
- Providing children’s accessible technology in the library
- Providing mobile Hot Spot lending – Allows people with laptops, tablets and other Wi-Fi devices to access the Internet while traveling.
- Providing free DVD checkout
Click the button to learn how to register, where to vote, and for information about absentee ballots.
What Services Does My Library Provide Today?
As a library card holder at Lyon Township Public Library, you receive many services today, including:
- Reciprocal borrowing of materials from over 42 member libraries in the TLN Co-Op
- Free computer and wifi usage
- Low cost printing and faxing services
- Free scanning service
- Unlimited borrowing of books, music CD’s DVD’s, magazines and audiobooks
- Free downloadable ebooks and audiobooks
- Low vision services through Oakland County
- Genealogy services – we are a Family History Center affiliate with borrowing privileges at Salt Lake City, and are equipped with a state of the art digital microfilm reader, scanner, printer.
- LTPL Grows Sustainable Living programs including our Seed Sharing Library
- Children’s services including programs, Preschool Storytime, Summer Reading Program and more.
- 2 Monthly Book Discussion Groups
- Friends of the Library Book Sales, Accessories Bazaar, and Family Fun Day
- Databases for Genealogy, Education and Training through the Michigan eLibrary
- Computer assistance, education, and problem solving
- Discounted museum admission through the Michigan Activity Pass
- Discounted Detroit Zoo admission through Tickets and More
Compute your yearly savings from using your library here!