We are excited to be able to begin checking off our millage commitments! Items accomplished will be shown in bold below as they are met.
On May 2, 2017 voters approved a new millage in the amount of 0.89 to operate the Lyon Township Public Library (LTPL) in the current facility at 27005 S. Milford Road. 0.89 is an increase of .3695 mills over the 2017 tax collection rate of .5205. This millage will go into effect in January of 2018.
With the millage increase, LTPL will be able to continue providing all of the current services (which can be seen by clicking here), and to improve our services by:
- Increased evening and weekend hours beginning in January of 2018:
- Monday – Thursday 10:00 am – 9:00 pm, Friday & Saturday 10:00 am – 5:00 pm. & Sundays 12:00 – 4:00 pm.
- Added professional staffing on weekends and every weekday beginning in January of 2018
- Purchased annual subscriptions to databases for adults, teens and children. These will include databases specifically for consumer research, foreign languages, genealogy, and for students doing homework.
- ReferenceUSA is now available for LTPL customers as of July 2017! Access it here under Business Resources.
- Newsbank is now available for LTPL customers as of July 2017! Access it here using your library card number.
- Mango Languages is now available for LTPL customers as of December 2017! Access it here using your library card number.
- Tumblebooks is now available for LTPL customers as of December 2017! Access it here using your library card number.
- Increasing our digital content collections to provide more downloadable e-books and audiobooks.
- We are now able to purchase Lyon Township specific copies available only to our customers to cut down on wait list time as of August 2017.
- RB Digital magazines is now available for LTPL customers as of January 2018! Access it here using your library card number.
- Consumer Reports online is now available for LTPL customers as of January 2018! Access it here using your library card number.
- hoopla is now available for LTPL customer to download movies, music, comic books and more as of January 2018!
Access it here using your library card number.
- Increasing programming for all ages
- Increasing community outreach and engagement
- Providing stronger Wi-Fi in the library
- Providing children’s accessible technology in the library
- Providing mobile Hot Spot lending – Allows people with laptops, tablets and other Wi-Fi devices to access the Internet while traveling or in areas without high speed internet access.
- We are now providing free DVD checkout of new movies as of June 2017
What Services Does My Library Provide Today?
As a library card holder at Lyon Township Public Library, you receive many services today, including:
- Reciprocal borrowing of materials from over 42 member libraries in the TLN Co-Op
- Free computer and wifi usage
- Low cost printing and faxing services
- Free scanning service
- Unlimited borrowing of books, music CD’s DVD’s, magazines and audiobooks
- Free downloadable ebooks and audiobooks
- Low vision services through Oakland County
- Genealogy services – we are a Family History Center affiliate with borrowing privileges at Salt Lake City, and are equipped with a state of the art digital microfilm reader, scanner, printer.
- LTPL Grows Sustainable Living programs including our Seed Sharing Library
- Children’s services including programs, Preschool Storytime, Summer Reading Program and more.
- 2 Monthly Book Discussion Groups
- Friends of the Library Book Sales, Accessories Bazaar, and Family Fun Day
- Databases for Genealogy, Education and Training through the Michigan eLibrary
- Computer assistance, education, and problem solving
- Discounted museum admission through the Michigan Activity Pass
- Discounted Detroit Zoo admission through Tickets and More
Compute your yearly savings from using your library here!