The Lyon Township Public Library has 10 public access computers with internet access for public use, all with:
- Windows 7 Operating System (8 computers)
- Windows 10 Operating System (2 computers)
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Office 2016 product suite
- CD/DVD burners
- USB ports
One of these computers is equipped with specialized peripherals:
- Genealogy digital film scanner/viewer/printer for Genealogy research needs.
We also provide 9 laptops available for checkout and use within the library building
Other available services include:
- Wireless access
- Color copying/printing
- Camera memory card readers available for checkout at the Circulation Desk
Items available for purchase include:
- 4 gb flash drive $8.00
- Earphones/earbuds $3.00
Wireless access is available throughout the Library. You may bring in your own wireless-enabled device and connect to the Library’s high-speed Internet access.
From your smartphone or tablet, go to your WiFi settings and make sure that WiFi is enabled. Choose to connect to the Library’s Wireless network.
Choose the connection Lyon Public.
Please note that depending on your version of software, there may be variations in the procedures.
If you experience problems establishing a wireless connection, you may want to check the following settings. The Lyon Township Public Library is not responsible for any changes that you make to your computer’s settings and cannot guarantee that your hardware will work with our wireless connection.
- Check to see if you have power management enabled on your wireless adapter. This may cause your laptop to turn off your wireless adapter after a period of inactivity to save power.
- Check to see if you have Windows Firewall or another firewall product enabled. These products may prevent your computer from connecting to our wireless network.
- If you also have a dial-up connection, check to see if your computer is set to “Always dial my default connection”. This may prevent you from connecting to our wireless network.
- LAN Settings should be set to “Automatically detect settings” and do not select a proxy server.
Library customers may now check out a laptop computer for use within the library building!
Laptops are fully charged and installed with:
- Microsoft Windows 7 operating system
- Microsoft Office 2007
- CD/DVD burners
- USB port
- Wireless connectivity
Optional accessories may also be checked out:
- External mouse
- Memory card reader
To checkout a laptop, please inquire at the Circulation Desk.
- Laptops may be checked out for up to 2 hours.
- You will be required to sign a waiverand leave your driver’s license with staff at the Circulation Desk until the laptop is returned in good condition.
- Library staff will secure the laptop to a designated table area within the main library or in a study room. Laptops may not be removed from the library.
- If any damage occurs during your posession, you will be responsible for the repair cost incurred.
Are you new to computing, or need help learning new skills? You may schedule individual sessions with our Computer Technician to help you with your computer questions! Sessions can be scheduled to teach you:
- How to do basic computer functions including launching applications, opening and closing windows, etc.
- How to navigate the internet
- How to protect your computer from threats including computer viruses
- How to setup and use an email account.
- How to use Microsoft Office products
- How to use a smartphone, tablet or eReader..
- Or anything else that you need help with!
Schedule an appointment by completing the form below:
We are happy to announce a new partnership with SCOLA, a nonprofit educational organization that receives and re-transmits foreign TV programming from around the world and provides other foreign language resources, language lessons and learning materials. SCOLA is a valuable source for language learning and cultural studies. Click here to learn more about SCOLA.
You can access SCOLA on our library computers, or on your Android or iOS device by dowloading the SCOLA app and logging into the LTPL account. For information on downloading the SCOLA app, please click here to contact library staff who will provide instructions.